Our SBA district office will be recognizing and honoring the following award categories at the district level for Small Business Week, May 5-9, 2014. The deadline for submitting district level nominations is Friday, January 17, 2014.
- St. Louis District Small Business Exporter of the Year
- St. Louis District Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- St. Louis District Family-Owned Small Business of the Year
- St. Louis District Home-Based Small Business of the Year
- St. Louis District Minority-Owned Small Business of the Year
- St. Louis District Veteran-Owned Small Business of the Year
- St. Louis District Woman-Owned Small Business of the Year
- St. Louis District Rural-Owned Small Business of the Year
- St. Louis District Entrepreneurial Success Award
Below you will find general information pertinent to all of the district awards. For more information about a specific award, click on the award category above or the list below.
Who is eligible to be nominated for these awards?
To be nominated and receive one of these awards, the small business nominee must fit within the category of the award:
- Small Business Exporter of the Year: Any individual who owns and operates a small business engaged in exporting may be nominated.
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year: To be considered a young entrepreneur, the individual must serve as a majority owner and operate or bear principal responsibility for operating a small business with a three year track record, and who will not have reached the age of 30 by June 1, 2013.
- Family-Owned Small Business of the Year: This award honors a family-owned and operated business which has been passed on from one generation to the next. The owner must also serve as a majority owner and operator or bear principal responsibility for operating a small business with at least a 15-year track record.
- Home-Based Small Business of the Year: An individual who has experienced the rewards and difficulties of owning a home-based business.
- Minority-Owned Small Business of the Year: An individual who has experienced the rewards and difficulties of owning a minority owned business.
- Veteran-Owned Small Business of the Year: An individual who has experienced the rewards and difficulties of owning a veteran owned business.
- Woman-Owned Small Business of the Year: An individual who has experienced the rewards and difficulties of owning a woman owned business.
- Rural-Owned Small Business of the Year: An individual who has experienced the rewards and difficulties of owning a rural owned business.
Nominees must also be residents of and employed in the United States or its territories and will be subject to background checks. Small businesses owned and operated by nominees must comply with federal civil rights laws. Consult your nearest SBA St. Louis District Office if you have questions.
Who may submit nominations for these awards?
Any individual or organization dedicated to the support of the small business community in the United States, including, but not limited to, trade and professional associations and business organizations, may submit nominations for these Small Business Awards. Individuals may not be nominated for more than one award category.
Where are the nominations to be sent?
Nominations must be submitted to the U.S. Small Business Administration Patti Guttmann, EDS, St. Louis District Office, 1222 Spruce Street, Room 10.103, St. Louis, MO 63103.
What information must the nomination package contain?
Nominations must be typewritten on one side of 8 1/2” x 11” white stationery, collated and secured in a 11/2” binder. Incomplete nomination packages will not be considered. Pages should NOT be in plastic sleeves, unless the plastic sleeve contains the photograph. All evaluation/selection criteria must be specifically addressed. A complete nomination package will also include, in the following order:
1. A single cover page stating —
- the nominee’s full name, title, business and home addresses with telephone and fax numbers, and e-mail address
- the award for which the nomination is being made
- the nominator’s name, title, place of business, business address and telephone number and e-mail address
- a one-paragraph description of the nominee’s business, if applicable.
2. A completed background form (SBA Form 3300, Award Nomination Form) which is available through SBA field offices or download it by clicking on the form name. For “team” nominations for any of the above Small Business Champion Awards, a background form is required for each team member.
3. An original 8” x 10” or 5” x 7” photo of the nominee; or a digital photo – at least 300 dpi; photocopies are not acceptable.
4. Four to five additional photos of the nominee’s company, employees at work.
5. A nomination letter, to include a concise statement of the qualities and performance that merit the award, not to exceed four pages.
6. A brief biography of the nominee, not exceeding one page.
7. A business profile, not exceeding one page, if applicable.
8. The nominee’s business financial statement including balance sheets, profit-and-loss statements and financial reports not exceeding 12 pages, on 8 1/2’’ x 11’’ paper – for the last three years, if applicable.
9. Any other supporting documentation deemed significant by the nominator, including news clips, letters of recommendation and other evidence of the appropriateness of the nomination. Supporting documentation must not exceed 10 pages. Videos will not be considered.
10. A completed SBA Form 2137 Award Nomination Consent Form, which is available at SBA offices or for download by clicking on the form name.
11. For Small Business Exporter of the Year, the nomination package must include a description of the products exported and markets served.
What are the selection procedures for these awards?
The SBA Small Business Awards will be selected at the St. Louis district level. Winners will be selected by a panel of judges.
What is the deadline for nominations?
Friday, January 17, 2014. All nominations for the LOCAL Small Business Awards must be postmarked or hand delivered to Patti Guttmann at the St. Louis SBA DO located at 1222 Spruce Street, Room 10.103, St. Louis, MO 63103 (10th floor of the Robert A. Young Building) no later than Friday, January 17, 2014.
For more information, please contact:
Patricia L. Guttmann
Economic Development Specialist
HUBZone Liaison~Marketing and Outreach
Small Business Administration
1222 Spruce Street, Room 10.103
St. Louis, MO 63103-2831
Fax (314) 539-3785